Salma Hayek Says Age Makes Her A Better Mom

Salma Hayek says waiting to have a baby made her a better mother.
The 42-year-old actress – who has an 18-month-old daughter Valentina with
husband Francois-Henri Pinault – thinks her life experience has better prepared her for parenthood.

“I thought I was going to need help getting pregnant, and I
didn’t.
“I feel that I’ve done enough things in life where I can appreciate the time
I spend with her as my number one priority and not feel I’m missing out on
something. I feel I’m a lot more patient.

“I’m a more fulfilled human being now, and I probably wouldn’t have been 10
years ago. She gets a better mother for being born now.”

Did I just write that Salma is 42 years old?

Salma also revealed that is was Paul Bettany who told her to see a doctor to check for gestational diabetes after she kept having unusual cravings.

She explained to WebMD magazine:

“I was nauseous for the whole nine months,
and the only thing I craved was fruit – cold mango, watermelon. And then
later on, I was saying that I didn’t know why I was getting so big. Paul
Bettany said something about too much fruit and gestational diabetes, and I
thought, ‘What does he know?’ ”

Thank goodness for that!

Photos by WENN.com

Comments

1. nakiaj1s says

I had my kids reasonably young. I feel that physically it was better to have them young, studies show the older you get the more bad genes your kids tend to pick up (including fat!). Looking at the differences between me (the oldest) and my youngest brother who was born in my mom’s 40s, I kind of believe that. HOWEVER, as a divorced single mom I do wish that I’d done more in my youth than look for Mr. Right and try to settle down and have babies. But I still love my kids to death and glad I’m still frisky enough to run around with them. They’re both in school full time (finally!) and I go part time and I look forward to being a successful 45 year old mom of two first year college students! If my empty nest is rockin’ don’t come a knockin’!!

Uhm did she or didn’t she have gestational diabetes? Ending with “What does he know?” is a bit of a cliffhanger, no?

3. B says

I’m one of those geriatric moms, 50 with a 10 year old, and it’s been all good for me. People are different, there are certainly people who make 50 look old – I’d like to think I’m more of the fierce 50 type. (Yeah, right) At any rate, I have no trouble wrangling or communicating with the boy. The oddest hurdle was early on, going to playgroups and getting to know all the other moms and finding myself in groups where I was from a different generation than the rest. There were some “fish out of water” moments, but once the initial oddity wore off, it was interesting and enlightening to be in a different peer group. I’d say the whole experience has helped to keep me young, as opposed to aging me. I wouldn’t change a thing. ;o)

4. mariah_fan says

Actually, there is such a thing as too much fruit. Fruit has a high sugar content, and some fruits even have a high mold content. If Salma was eating a lot of mango (which does not have a high sugar or mold content) and watermelon (which is mostly water), she probably is not at risk for diabetes. She most likely just put on a lot of water weight from eating all that fruit, but at the very least her baby should have a very healthy immune system from all the vitamins in the fruit and should not be susceptible to colds as quickly as some other babies who are malnutritioned when their mothers eat ice cream and junk throughout their pregnancy. This is also another reason why she seemed to have slimmed down so quickly after having the baby: she ate a lot of very healthy foods during pregnancy.

ps. In case you’re wondering, I am a nutritionist. :P

5. lis says

It’s also very possible she had an incorrect reason for getting checked for gestational diabetes (too much mango and watermelon) and had it anyway.

6. Anonymous82 says

I had my first child at 27 and I don’t regret anything. I got to finish college at 21, my masters degree at 23 and found a job by 25. In between, I met my husband, bought my first house and started a family at 27. Age can be a factor on being a good provider, not necessarily a mother. When I think about Halle Berry and Salma Hayek who had their first child at 40, I’m thinking “When their daughters will be 10, they will be 50 while I’m only going to be 37″

7. Booyah says

I have to agree. As a mom of the same age, although my kids are a four and six, I have thought the same thing. I do not resent having to “give up” anything, and know they are my choice, and my most important lifetime job. I might not have had that maturity at a younger age. I had a successful career, lots of travel, toys, etc, and made a complete 180 to have kids as a SAHM. And I love it. I have gotten a lot out of it. What the younger moms have is more energy though, lol.

There are pros and cons to being a younger mom vs older. It depends on your relationship, maturity, priorities, finances, etc. Salma is loving being a mother and I hope she has more!

9. Anonymous123 says

Anonymous82….yeah but 50 is the new 40. Alot of people this generation are looking younger and younger these days….I mean look at Christy Brinkley!! And of course I’ve seen people in the mid 30′s looking a lot older than their age. So really age is just a number. Salma is absolutely gorgeous and has a killer body – I don’t think she has much to worry about!

10. Anonymous82 says

It’s not about how the body looks. Being 50 and having a 10 year old has nothing to do with howy their bodies will look like at 50. My point is the generation gap is way greater between those 2 age groups than if the mother is 40 for example. But nothing says that if you’re older, you’ll make a better mother. I know death and health problems can happen at any age but I’d rather be there for my kids for much longer, even if it’s only a few years longer.

I do have a *few* regrets, although I have a similar story…first baby at 28, master’s and job at 25. I think that getting my education and settling into a job didn’t leave very much time to do some things on my wishlist before I became pregnant. That is where I think there is an upside to waiting longer, but who wants to be an “older” mother? I think waiting a few more years would have been good, but then I found myself doing the math too….”when my baby is x years old, I will be that much older!”…

12. Anonymous123 says

Too much of anything is bad for you…even drinking too much water can be dangerous….water intoxication, hyponatremia, dilute blood which causes chemical imbalance. And no I’m not a nutritionist…I just remember reading about it.