Rumor: New Moon Production Halted Due To Plagiarism Claims

UPDATE: Summit responded and it is not TRUE.

This rumor is certainly NOT true. Please let your readers know.”

Stephanie Meyer’s former college roommate, Heidi Stanton is suing the Twilight author for allegedly stealing the entire concept of her hit teen novel series from a short story she wrote many moons ago.

Why did it take her so long to realize this?!! Because Heidi just decided to watch the movie last week.

A fan forum posted the following claim:

Allegations by Stanton, who is a stay at home mother to 4 children in Utah arose after she viewed the movie Twilight for the first time last week, shortly after it was released to DVD format. Stanton claims that she had heard about the novels, but with four small children at home has very little time to read for pleasure or go to the theaters to watch movies.

“Quite frankly, I was shocked when I began watching the movie with my husband last week. I immediately told him that she got that idea from me! I wrote a fictional short story with the same ideas when we were in college together.” stated Stanton.

Sounds a little fishy. You don’t need to see the movie to know what Twilight is about. It’s a viral obsession that has gotten under the skin of society. Heidi would have gotten wind of the whole “vampire who is in love with a girl” concept prior to the dvd release. Right?

Here’s the issue – professors from Brigham Young University are BACKING Heidi’s short story claim.

Mrs. Stanton’s claims have some credence to them as she has documented proof that a short story with very similar idea was written by her in 1993 while she was a sophomore at BYU. English department chairperson Dr. Peter Benton was at the time a second year professor of writing and distinctly remembers Ms. Stanton’s prolific writing style and the vampire story in particular.

“The story stood out in my mind, at the time, because it was more advanced than most sophomore students usually presented, also the vampire story stood out because I had recently taught a series of lectures on Brahm Stoker’s Dracula.” claims Dr. Benton. “I felt at the time that Heidi had brought a very current and up to date look at a classic subject.”

And because of this, production has halted until further notice. EEK! A 2009 release is not likely at this point.

Waiting on rep confirmation!!!

Photos by INF

Comments

This woman is going to be the most hated woman in America if New Moon is delayed because of her stupid claims. Sounds like jealousy is her motivating factor. What a stupid thing to do, just because you have kids doesnt mean you cant have a life. Its impossible not to know what Twilight is about, what a liar.

2. Anonymou says

I’m in agreement with everyone, total BS, I live in Australia, have 2 small kids (3 and 1), have a full time job, part time uni, part time home business, don’t go to bed before midnight, and I’ve read all her stories twice!!!!!! As per usual someone wanting money.. this had better not stop the movies…..

3. Beemerbelle says

Odds are she would have heard of it prior to seeing the movie but not for certain. Perhaps it took some time to put all her info together, i.e. contacting professors, etc. I can understand where the concept may be the same but no way could she have predicted the contents of all the books.

Ahhh no please let this be false!! If the woman is telling the truth Twilight fans will be outraged!! Surely if the woman never intented to publish and make money out of the idia then she shouldent have a reason to sue. Exept for money of course. Grrrr

So what if this woman wrote a story about a girl and vampir falling in love years ago. Stephenie is the one who developed the idias for all the other books, created the detailed charachters which are the reasons why people love these books. Her style of writing is here own. Im sure if the other woman had tried to get her short story published or develop the idias more then it would not be nearly as popular as twilight. She needs to shut up.

I am Mormon and we watch tv and go to just as many movies as the average person. Living in Utah Mrs. Stanton would have had to live under a bush not to hear about the Twilight Series. I also have 3 children and that didn’t stop me from reading due to lack of time. Also, this woman, if she wrote a short story had 10 years to do something about it and now someone has done all the work and she sees easy $$$.

I think your wrong. I LOVED the draft for Midnight Sun. I think is is a brilliant idea to write it from Edwards perception. Awsome! I love Stephanie Myers as well. Her charactor descriptions go into such depth. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean that everyone doesnt. I hate Stephen Kings writting style, and he is really popular. But Im not going to blast him for it. Stephanie Myers books are amazing, and Im not some teenie booper. Im a 26 year old, married with 2 youngs kids!

8. Nanea says

People who are quick to trash Ms Stanton should keep in mind those people are Mormons and don’t really watch that much TV or go out to see the movies. Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s something fishy with Ms Meyer. Her writing style is horrible. Why this got big, I have no idea. After her last thing leaked, people tore her to pieces, saying it was awful, and then she backpedaled, burying what she wrote, claiming it was a draft. Usually one doesn’t change the tone of something but ideas between draft and publication. If one can write, it shines through, even if the plot is bad – not the other way round.

9. CapturingLife says

Nobody can lay claim to vamp stories..they are all very, very similar. This sounds completely fabricated. This chick would’ve stepped up long ago when the book first came out.

10. audrey says

Maybe the claimant isn’t a teenaged girl. That seems to be the main audience for this series of books, and that is how I origninally heard of them, was through my friends’ kids. I managed to get through the past few years without knowing much detail about Twilight at all until they started talking about the movie on gossip sites, so it is possible for someone to have missed the original hype. I also agree that it may be a hard case to prove, unless Stephanie Meyer wrote word for word what was initially in that short story. If she did steal it, it wouldn’t be the first time that a famous author has been accused of stealing an idea for a book.

her story makes sense to me. twilight may be ‘under the skin of society’, but there are still people (like me) that don’t know much about the movie or care. i can see how she waited a while to see it. i still haven’t seen it and probably won’t.

12. testguy says

I’m with Anonymous. I know quite a few people who are into the series, but since most of them are friends of my young daughter I frankly didn’t bother to ask what it was about.

Vampires, you say? Sexy ones in love? Wow – what a totally new concept (NOT!)

What a joke…This idea has been played over and over again, in all sorts of formats including Buffy and Angel, unless the short story has the characters and pretty much all the history of those characters and is almost exactly the same I think the claim should be thrown out and if it’s not then hell sign me up with a lawyer cause I wrote a short story on the same theme at school as well! I’m sure I could do with the money too!

14. gretel says

There are always rumours of plagiarism when it comes to big box office movies that come from books. Same with Harry Potter, Da Vinci Code, etc. People trying to go for easy money.

So, you’re telling me that if your college ROOMMATE became rich and famous, you wouldn’t get curious about the material she got famous for? I call BS. I am a full time working mom and I still have time to see the obvious out there. People are so ridiculous.

I call BS too. I have small children and WOH FT and I still have plenty of time to read and watch movies. I don’t have teenaged kids and don’t really know anyone with teenaged kids but still read the books. Her writing isn’t the greatest but I still couldn’t stop. lol!

I predict that Ms. Stanton’s family is going through financial difficulties and she just happened to *remember* she wrote a story in college about a vampire who falls in love with a teenage girl. For all we know, assuming it is true that she turned in a similar story in college, she stole the story from Ms. Meyer. I’m sure word would’ve gotten around the mormon community about the book. I mean, come on… Successful mormon writer with a story that is basically a perfect mormon romance but with vampires? Yeah, they’re really going to keep that under their hats.

I think she’s just someone who wants some easy money. If she really cared, she’d have done something a LOT sooner.

I only believe it if the vampires in the short story also sparkled. The rest of the story is unoriginal and done many times before.

18. Casey H says

I have three kids and haven’t been out for 12 years on a date with my husband, to a movie or to anything. So I can see that. There aren’t alot of families who will babysit and or people for that matter.

I didnt know what Twilight was until I saw the movie…my kids werent into it and I don’t follow YA. So its possible…and guess we will see where it goes.

19. sarcraw622 says

I’m having a hard time believing this is even true — this story was posted on the forum April 10, more than a week ago, and is allegedly an AP story – but if you google any key phrase related to this story, nothing comes up.

AP stories are picked up by tons of media outlets – if this was a real AP story, lots of stories would come up in google. But nothing does.

Unbelievable. This story doesn’t make any sense. I know she’s a stay-at-home mom, but don’t stay-at-home moms have girlfriends? One of her friends HAS to have read the books. And even if one of her girlfriends hasn’t read them, there’s such a thing called television. And internet. She has to have learned something from there. I mean, “Twilight: The vampire love story sweeping the nation by Stephenie Meyer”? Wouldn’t that ring a bell when she heard that commercial? And if she realized Twilight was hers, if it even is in the first place, she should be grateful to Steph for making her so-called story so wildly popular. And she should not have sued, because now, millions of Twilight fans worldwide will be upset about the stalling of the second movie.

Again, unbelievable.

21. Get a life says

fuck that bitch. not everyone’s trying to copy you. stephenie meyer had kids WHILE she was writing Twilight so that attention-seeking stanton could have done the same and stake a claim. stephenie didnt copy that bitch, end of story.

Um, I’m so sorry but vampire falls in love with human. How many times has this been used already? And how could it take you this long to figure out that someone had stolen your idea? This is just some poor single mother who is jealous of Steph Meyer’s fame and is trying to take her money. And if her idea was not copyrighted then its not illegal, its excellent business.

23. momster says

There are plenty of Mormons out there who watch a LOT of TV, go to movies, and actually read this series. I am reading them with my daughter right now. All though I do agree that the writing is horrible and the storylines leave MORE than a lot to be desired. Maybe it’s taken the woman this long to get all her ducks in a row, but you’d think she would have paid attention when the idea first came out, what with it being written by her old pal.

24. Warner says

Who in their right mind would want to lay claim to twilignt… because sharing a dorm room with Stephenie Meyer is enough to leave a person not in the right mind for the rest of their life.

Meyer always gushes how she is bella, and seeing as bella is one of the worst, most damaging characters in childrens literature today *she is vain, self absorbed, petty, manipulative, and kinda of whoreish in the long run, roping multiple boys along so she can play their emotions.*

Watching Meyer in her interviews, she is *Vain, self absorbed, petty, and manipulative.*

I think it’s possible this entire thing is made up. Did anyone notice that the professor’s name is Dr. Peter Benton? A character from ER…it is possible that it’s a coincidence, but I’m not sure.

What a crock! Stephenie never even intended to publish what she wrote and it was written 10 years after Stanton’s short story. There are a lot of books, vampire and others, that have similar story lines. Are those people going to sue Stephenie too? People are just trying to get their piece of the money and are willing to stoop to immoral levels to do it. What a shame.

-www.uniformmate.com-single and avilable to dating,the site open ur door to the world of singles in uniform who are yet rendezvous with the other half.come in and see whats in store for you!give yourself and others an opportunity.life’s full of surprise.

I am a mother of 4 under the age of 6. I have read all the books 3 times. You can find the time. This women should be ashamed of her self. All the hype about this movie and she had no clue….RIGHT!!!! Does she live under a rock, you cant walk into the grocier store without seeing something about twilight. This stinks of give me some off that money now that it is so popular. I hope someone lets this women know how hated she will be if this is true. These books and soon to be movies have a huge fan following and she should be ashamed and repressents true scum of the earth to do something like this. Get some class women.

I agree she has no rights to it. its the colleges. it was the same way when i was in college. and even if she did read it why would steph read it. if i wrote a story for college i wouldnt let anyone read it. and there is no way she could not realise til now what twilight was! if this goes on she will be the most hated woman on the planet. does she really wana bring that down on her family, on her kids. can you imagine everyone knowing your mam ruined twilight. i dont think thatd go down too well. if you ask me shes a retard!

ok first of all if the story is even similar to a paper her roommate wrote, the only people who have the right to sue is the university. when a student turns in a paper that paper becomes property of the university. if the school does not catch onto the plagiarism than the original writer really has no claim to that paper.

You people need to educate yourselves about what is, and what isn’t, plagiarism. The minute someone writes an “anonymous” comment saying that SM copied this one or copied that one, you are laying yourselves wide open for a libel suit. It’s bad enough to speak it (slander), but by leaving a comment, you have left a written record–proof that you have slandered an author. Believe me, if she wants to sue, you’d better get your checkbooks out. You’re toast.

You also need to understand that vampire fiction is a relatively narrow genre, idea wise. SM should be given credit for turning some of the cliches upside down. Coincidences exist ALL the time in fiction.

Characters’ names cannot be copyrighted–not should they be. Ideas cannot be copyrighted. Rather, it’s the way the writer writes the damn thing. Anne Rice’s vampires are archetypes–and believe me, she wasn’t the first to write about them.

This isn’t plagiarism; it isn’t a rip-off; it isn’t lazy writing. More to the point, SM can sue your asses till the end of time, because all of these casual accusations are libelous–like I said, get your checkbooks out.

I think this is all rubbish. it’s a classic plot. L J Smith with her night world series and vampire diaries. Anne Rice with Vittorio the vampire. This woman may well have written something similar but haven’t most budding writers? It’s an easy story line which can readily be adapted to suit your target audience. I myself wrote something similar for my pracitce A-level english exam. So does Heidi Stanton plan to sue everyone that has ever written something similar to her?

She has had her 15 minutes of fame now she should grow up and behave like a mother. I have an 11 week old daughter and I still have time to read study and I have opened up my own business, so all of this I don’t have time for anything but I stall at home all day, what does she do when her children are at school????

This is a bunch of crap. Stephenie Meyer addressed the rumor just today on her website. Maybe some websites need to get their facts straight BEFORE they report junk.

Oh, and according to Stephenie Meyer, there is NO professor named Dr. Peter Benton at BYU (there is a Dr. Peter Benton on the show ER, however). I’ll NEVER come to this website again. You guys S-U-C-K. Stephenie Meyer should sue you.

36. Morbaby says

WHO CARES!! Twilight is the greatest classic story ever! the t ypical, “i want them but i can’t have them,” with a twist…reguardless i’m gonna still watch the movies and read the books..the author dosen’t matter to me i’m in love with the story and characters…case closed..let the authors battle that out..but let the movies fcontinue!!! :)7

37. Morbaby says

38. Morbaby says

39. Morbaby says

40. Elise June says

that woman should shut her mouth.Everyone here can see that she’s looking for easy money..

I’ve actually been very suspicious of SM for awhile. You guys should check out some of Charlene Harris’ stuff. I can guarantee a few things will be awfully familiar. In fact i would say it is far too similar.

42. Dre says

According to the Twilight Lexicon, Summit have issued a statement saying this is untrue, thats what the Lexicon said last night.

So far production is going ahead as the crew and actors go to Italy to meet the evil Volturi, :XD so don’t worry guys and gals its just a silly rumour.

43. sarcraw622 says

This is the fakest story in the world. “Plagiarism” is spelled wrong IN the story, and it just so happens to be spelled the same way the the author of the post spelled it: “plagerism.”

As a former reporter very familiar with AP style, this “Associated Press” story surely does break a high number of its own rules. Not to mention the many grammatical and spelling errors throughout the piece.

“Studio heads” commented when they were reached by phone? Yeah right. Studio heads would not be reached, their rep would. And that rep would have a NAME.

This story is FAKE people. If the AP really did this story, you’d be able to find it in Google News, but guess what – you can’t! And I would hope the AP would run spell-check before releasing such an error-riddled story.

44. sarcraw622 says

Twilight Lexicon has a statement from Summit Entertainment: “This rumor is certainly NOT true. Please let your readers know.”

Oh Please! The Twilight series has been out how long in stores to buy and read. I don’t care who you are, if you haven’t heard about the books then you must be living in a cave. You don’t have to read them or even see the movie, but I don’t know how one could not know about them. This woman is obviouly after the money to have waited this long to speak up. Sorry about your luck sweetheart!

46. MZ says

This is BS. I did a Google search and the first reference that this comes up under was posted in the beginning of April. Smells a bit fishy, considering what a hot topic this is. Don’t you think this would have blown up a bit faster and a lot louder if the allegations held any truth?

I don’t care if she stole an idea or not, the books been released now and they can’t make everyone give back their copies. I hope this is bs because I’m sure all Twilight fans will agree we still want to see the movie! Even if this is true, I hope their lawsuit doesn’t affect production of all the other series movies being made–sue the writer, get your money, get your 5 minutes of fame, and let the rest of us see the movie series we’re all dying to see!!!!!

49. AnonyMoi says

I really don’t think it’s fishy at all Vera. I’ve got plenty of friends and family who are NOT internet savvy, who couldn’t care less about the Twilight series, and some who don’t even watch T.V. (lump ME into that group, I seriously only watch if I’m visiting friends, and they’re watching something…) Oh, and no, they don’t live under rocks either.

It wouldn’t be the first time that something like this has happened. Certainly won’t be the last…

50. KARA! says

I’m also having trouble finding any news stories connected to this item so far. So, either INO has the inside track on this huge story, or this is just a rumor (hey, this is a gossip site after all).

51. JesseD says

Oh please, has anyone read The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith? Same idea. Came out in 1991. Vampire falls in love with a high school girl, and there were (now 5). There is nothing new under the sun. If you don’t take your idea and make it big, and someone else does, tough. It’s not plagiarism, it’s just business.

check your sources. this is just a rumour…one which obviously isn’t true. nice photos though.

53. XxBere[Nice]xX says

OK if this is true I really don’t see why the housewife is suing.I mean she’s probably just trying to get money.And exactly why is she suing when it was just a short story and never became big.I am pretty sure that that lady’s story was the same plot but Stephanie added more to it and actually wrote a book!!!I know tons of books that are like Twilight for example Evermore high school girl falls in love with an immortal guy.And then she turns into a immortal herself.And guess what the next book in the series is called???Blue Moon!!!I think this lady is full of it,she should find a job and work for some money,instead of just suing people for it.

54. Elise June says

As usual,this is all about money.Vampire falling in love with a human girl,this story has been around for a very long time.There’s so many version of it.Many author will be having a lot of lawsuits if everyone claimed that their idea’s stolen.I think these people’s too much.When someone started to make loads of money and getting famous,these kind of stuff will bound to come up.Lawsuits mean money!Have the claimant ever heard of copyright?

n e other news on this!!! god i hope this is NOT true!! we can possible say goodbye to the rest of the movies :*-(

You know this is bs….i believe it is b/c she is jealous and shes tryin to get her in trouble…im sorry i love twilight and if new moon is bein put to halt b/c of this its gonna make alot of people mad including myself and im pissed b/c of the fact of all this…it better be un-true and just rumors…b/c i will see new moon one way or another and i will complain everyday until it comes out…Im sorry its bs and this Stanton chic needs to f*** off and leave Stephanie alone….and pull the jealousy outta her a** and back off!!! sorry for my language but i hate people like that!!!!