Gillian Anderson Appreciates Her British Accent

Gillian Anderson is one of those lucky actresses who doesn’t have to fake a British or American accent, she has both! She loves it, but wishes that she had more control over when it switches back and forth.

“Even on the phone my accent will change. Part of me wishes I could
control it but I can’t.

“I
just slip into one or the other. When I moved to the States I tried to cling on
to my British accent because it made me different.”

Gillian adds that she’s also happy to have had so many experiences outside the U.S.

“I moved a lot for university and work but I never thought it
was a negative thing.

“I
thought how lucky I was to have had formative years growing up in London. A lot
of Americans never set foot outside America. It can be an inward-looking
country.”

Do you think what she says about the U.S. is true?

Photos by INF.

Comments

1. MiiaKatariina says

Generalizations don’t apply to all, but the more i’ve travelled the more i’ve found them to be true, it’s hilarious really ( i used to be one of those who thought clichés were a load of bull, ’cause we are all as individualls so different, but now i see that i am a creation of my country, it just doesn’t show if u stay put u’r whole life) i’d love to live in US for some time but i get kind of anguished around people who think their country is the ultimate happy place, ’cause no country is (don’t get me wrong, i’m still defending if someone speaks bad about US :) ) I’ve lived a few years in France and i met a lot of narrow minded people there too. But it was a lovely country anyhow, and people too. And i know US is huge, but unfortunately similar traveling distance doesn’t equal as big a variety in cultures.. But it’s the attitude that counts, not ur countries visited, so it’s not the end of the world not to have seen the world. But i love it though, so i’d hope every willing person would have the chance, cruel world, cruel world…

2. luckystar says

I think that since the US is such a huge country, visiting different states would be like travelling in Europe (I’m British BTW) since the countries are pretty close together.

However, I do feel that SOME Americans are a tad ignorant of other cultures and they feel that the US is the most important thing in the world. I think travelling is fantastic, and people in the US are lucky to live in such a big country that they could travel and see different cultures without leaving their country.

I am also British, now living in Canada, and her comment can be truly said of any nationality, I know a lot of Brits that visit Europe oftern that are very insular. The comment about 2 wks holiday is so true, same up here in Canada though a lot of places now have 3 wks. – In Britain before I left 30 yrs ago we were getting 3 wks mandatory and 4 wks came in just after I left. 2 wks is archaic, they need to up it drastically, then maybe you guys who haven’t been outside the US could come up and visit this beautiful land to your north.

It’s very true that (on the whole) America is an inward looking country. I don’t live in the US now, but when I did I was struck by the way that virtually all of the news on TV or in the paper was about the US. It’s like the rest of the world doesn’t exist, unless something truly newsworthy happens (or the President is traveling). Most Americans would struggle to say where Senegal, Surinam or Bangladesh are. Distance is not the issue. Countries like Australia or South Africa are more isolated but not as inward looking. I’m not talking about visiting other countries, I’m talking about being aware of them and interested in what’s happening in them. Of course this isn’t true of EVERY American…but it’s true of many.

5. Memnoch says

Yes, some but not all Americans are inward looking. They say that its hard to travel but its not. Canada is cheap, close and has a huge variety of cities. Quebec is almost as French as France without the time difference. Especially those Americans in the northern states – drive or fly to Canada and try it.

6. Helen says

She’s right and have heard it said many times before by others. It’s good to see the world as it makes you more rounded (sorry for pun).

Gillian is NOT British, she spent a few short years as a teenager there, and that would certainly not account for suddenly having a very convenient full blown London accent that suddenly shows up in your early forties, and one that amazingly only surfaces when in the UK, or more specifically only on British chat shows.I wish people could stick to the subject rather than going off topic and engaging in simpleminded, warmed over cliched anti-American foolishness.

• Lonnie says

The lady is gorgeous in her middle age. Dug her on Xfiles but, come on the british accent is overly pretentious.She’s not british, how about commit to something. She slips in and out of that accent to frequently mid-sentence, its a choice she makes to use it. I lived in parts of England for years namely Thetford East Anglia third round about from Brandon village as a servicemen as well as in Holland the Netherlands, and Vicenza, Italy if accents permeated by proximity I am not sure what I would sound like after 20 years of service. I hope she is not promoting her charade to her kids to adopt fake accents. Hers is decent by the way, I mean she is an actress after all.

8. lara jane says

I’m American, born and bred, and I agree. But of course, sweeping generalizations are not a good thing, and there are certainly exceptions. (I say this because I know some people are going to get bent out of shape about her comment!)

Also, I love her.

Also, she looks freaking incredible right there!

The people on this sight would get bent out of shape over a discussion of “Which celebrity baby has the potential for the most attractive pinky toe” if you let them.

10. smcose says

I would say it’s true. I know a lot of people that have never been outside the US. I’m just about 25, and the most I’ve been outside the US was in a resport in Jamaica for 3 days. I would love to travel more, and see other countries… but I just do not have the cash to travel!

Uhhh, yeah, it’s true. With two weeks vacation each year, what other choice do you have?

12. Jac says

I don’t necessarily think that is true. In Europe, you can hop in a car and drive for a few hours and be in a different country. I do that here in Texas and I am in the same state. When you have to factor in the cost of flying overseas, renting cars and hotels, that is much, much more expensive. Also, once you get there, with the time difference and all, it doesn’t make since to stay for just 5-7 days. It usually is for a long time and again, the money isn’t always there.

This is true, but there are vast differences to the US and continental Europe (Gillian is British).
    I was born and raised in the US, but my dad is French and constantly says things like this about Americans. Of course, I then have to remind him that all he has to do in France to visit another country is get in his car and drive a few hours. There is a big difference to living in continental Europe or Britain, and living in the US. European countries are similiar in size to many US states, but most of the French (like my dad whom I love) refuse to acknowledge this small little fact. So as an American, if you have gone to ten US states it is roughly the equivalent of my dad visiting seven European countries.
    We visit him several times a year, but if he didn’t pay for us there is no way I could afford to visit him. It can become very pricey, plus the Euro is always up against the dollar. It is much cheaper for Americans to visit Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean.
    Just my two cents, coming from a French-American who has travelled through Europe more times than I can even remember.