Gisele Bundchen Says Giving Birth Didn’t Hurt In The Slightest

And no, Gisele was not given pain medication at home while giving birth.

I wanted to be very aware and present during the birth… I didn’t want to be drugged up. So I did a lot of preparation, I did yoga and meditation, so I managed to have a very tranquil birth at home.

It didn’t hurt in the slightest.

The whole time my mind was focused in each contraction on the thought ‘my baby is closer to coming out’.

It wasn’t like ‘this is so painful’. So I transformed that intense feeling into a hope of seeing him.’

Bundchen says her son didn’t cry after being born and rested in her lap for a long time.

‘It’s wonderful,’ she said. ‘Never in my life I thought I could love like this.’

Okay. Now I know people who’ve tried to use meditation to help with the pain, and who didn’t have an epidural, but I haven’t heard anyone say those techniques made the birth PAINLESS.

Gisele reportedly told this to a Brazilian interviewer, I’m assuming in Portugese. Maybe something was missed in the translation? Do you know anyone who used meditation/yoga instead of medication and felt NO PAIN during childbirth?

Photos by INF

Comments

1. meme says

i like gisele but she is so full of shit on this one. unless you get an epi, childbirth hurts. maybe hers didn’t hurt as much but it had to hurt.

She is so full of herself it’s not even funny. If she didn’t have any drugs like she said then she had pain. I have a high tolerance for pain and childbirth was the hardest thing I have ever done. The contractions was very painful, let alone pushing him out. I say she is a big fat liar.

3. Putanga says

I did the yoga/meditation throughout my entire pregnancy. During labor i was calm and focused, BUT IT HURT LIKE HELL!

My third baby was born two months ago. The first two births I used epidurals and experienced pain on otherwordly level. I went without pain medication this time and instead used meditation and visualization. I read up on natural births and wanted to truly know what it was like. At 41 weeks I was induced with pitocin. It wasn’t painful. It was on the other hand, incredibly intense. I completely believe Gisele’s quote because I experienced it myself.

One of my best friends said the same. She was complaining about everything during her pregnancy so I was expecting the worst. And then she told me that the birth was really easy. Didn’t expect to hear that but I believe her. Everyone’s different.

she said: “So I transformed that intense feeling into a hope of seeing him.”…
    so im guessin tha’z she meant by “it wasnt painful”…she jus didnt focus on da pain..
    n i heard mothers forget about da pain wen they set their eyes on their baby…
    so yall go easy on her..

7. Anonymous82 says

I am sure what she said was lost in translation. I gave birth a few months ago and it hurt like hell but you forget the pain cause you know there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. your baby.

she said “It wasn’t like ‘this is so painful’… So I transformed that intense feeling into a hope of seeing him.”
    so im guessin tha is what she meant by “it wasnt painful”–she jus focus on seein her baby than the pain…
    n i heard mothers forget all about the pain the moment they set their eyes on their baby…so tha cld be it too….
    yall go easy on her…lol

9. meme says

an easy birth is one where you’re in labor for a couple of hours and out pops baby, but even the out pops baby part hurt. there’s no such thing as painless drugfree baby birthing.

all of you skeptics should really watch Ricki Lakes documentary on water birthing. It’s called “The Business of Being Born”. It’s absolutely eye opening and beautiful. And there was recently a few stories done in the news about women experiencing orgasms while giving water births. I know that sounds weird, but it’s interesting none the less. Births don’t have to be this painful and scary experience. Unfortunately, Western medicine has made us believe that’s just how it is, so we create that for ourselves. If you see, Gisele stated she did the work necessary to create a peaceful, painless, beautiful birthing experience.

I don’t think she meant that literally- she has nerves and of course there is pain. What she meant was that she was very well prepared for the birth and all that would come with it. She transformed the “ow! That hurts like ****” into “I’m getting closer to meeting my baby” – it is possible to trick your mind and transform pain if you have enough control of your own body, which it certainly sounds like she did. Also, she had a water birth and I’ve heard that it hurts waaayyy less in the water.

People have this idea that you’re suppose to gain 40 lbs during pregnancy, be miserable for 9 months and that childbirth is almost unbearable, but in reality if you take care of yourself, prepare well, and have a good relationship with your body its much easier and a more joyful experience. If you do all that, your body will be good to you. Its just that most women today can’t.
    I love Gisele and think she’s great for having a natural birth and talking about it openly. Good for her and Benjamin.

You should watch “The Business of Being Born”. It’s Ricky Lakes documentary on giving water births. It’s pretty eye opening (and I found to be beautiful as well).

I saw the interview in portuguese and she does say it didn’t hurt AT ALL. And that she was in labor for only 8 hours…who knows, right? I’ve heard some people say it didn’t hurt or that it hurt very little, so I guess it’s possible…as much as I dislike her, I know people who had babies and said the contractions were not that bad, that they had period cramps that were worse.

14. Booyah says

and sunshine and rainbows fly out of her butt after eating brown beans and brocolli. One of those instances where you block it out. I don’t remember my pain, but I know I had it for 28 hours. Many block it out, otherwise we would only have one kid.

I’ve done both and epidurals are the way to go. That doesn’t make her better than any other mother who’s gone thru the same thing. It’s a really personal choice, and it’s great that it worked for her but it does not make her mother of the year by any means.

16. DonnaJ says

My baby was 10lbs when she was born and I’ve never known such pain in my life. However, I was speaking with my grandmother a few weeks ago (she had 11 children) and she said that when she gave birth to my mother, she felt absolutely nothing. The only way she knew she was in labor was because her water broke. She went to the hospital and delivered my mother 2 hours later…and she felt nothing. While her case is not the norm, it does indeed happen.

well, if she’s happy with her delusion, then good for her I suppose. But she’s lying. And I think we mothers do forget the pain to an extent, but it was there, and we know it was there, no matter how lovely our babies are.

18. Fernanda says

I’m actually Brazilian and was watching the show last night!
    Nothing was lost in translation!!
    She said she didn’t feel any pain cause she was concentrated on the fact that each contraction brought her closer to meeting her son!
    YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!

19. sari says

What I want to know is if she will treat provide love and attention to Tom’s first son. Hopefully, they will treat him the same.

20. Marivone says

Hi! I saw that. I’m from Brazil. She almost said that…. She said she almost didn’t feel any pain for been concentrated on the fact that “each contraction brought her closer to meeting her son”!

;)

21. Jen-Ben says

Righ, and I had an orgasm while having a root canal too. Gimme a break. Even if Giselle’s telling the truth, why say this in an interview? She makes it sound as if women who had painful labours somehow weren’t excited to see their babies, when in reality that’s all most women cling to in order to get through the pain. Also if true, this proves life is unfair – how can she have a body like that and a pain-free delivery?

What a load of shit. Giving birth hurts. Your vagina gets ripped apart and the pain is incredible….. worth it though…. worth every ounce of pain.

if you have no experience with meditation, then you can’t understand how it transforms you. don’t judge her based on your own ignorance:)

I was in labor for three hours and didn’t cry or yell in pain once. It IS possible to meditate and be so focused during a drug-free birth that you experience it WITHOUT pain.

25. A says

My first birth 8 years ago – from 7cm dilation it hurt like hell, my second birth 5 years ago? A peice of cake, after 6 hours in labour at the hospital even the nurses weren’t prepared when my waters broke and I began to deliver. During my third pregnancy my attitude was “I got this, I’m an expert on the breathing and relaxing through the contractions” then my third born 1 week ago – HOLY HELL I’M GETTING MY TUBES TIED. Each labour is different.

26. Seriously says

Some people experience birth with strong sensations that they simply would not describe as pain, but usually intense pressure. Natural birth creates endorphins and in a some cases this really lets the brain interpret the sensations differently. If the mind is powerful enough to help people with allergies be trained to undergo surgery without anesthesia, her claims hardly seem like a stretch.

27. Debby says

I have never heard of a pain free birth other than my own three totally natural,no medications of any kind. I was looking to see if there were any other ladies out there who had absolutely no pain at all as I did and all I found was allot of talk about training you’r mind not to feel the pain whether it’s yoga or religion and one even talked about exercising you’r birthing muscles. After three children and not one bit of pain I do believe that if Gisele had no pain at all it wasn’t because of yoga or meditation. It happens believe it or not.

28. I.C. says

Way to go, Giselle! I also had a natural child birth, and did pre-natal yoga throughout, some meditation and correct breathing. I went in not knowing what to expect, and only had some pain for about 40 min. Labor lasted 4.5 hours, and it was not that bad! I have definitely been through more severe pain. Pushing baby out was completely painless and felt like a bad constipation. I would not say that the labor was painless, but definitely not painful. It was my first child. My water broke completely and I did not feel any contractions until right before the baby was born. I went in expecting epidural, and am so glad that I was able to birth naturally! I am also glad that I listened to all of the positive stories, and focused on the positive. It is a natural process and I truly did not feel scared at all while in the delivery. It went by so quickly! I was truly blessed.

29. lis says

I don’t know about childbirth, but I know a lot of people who are able to cross the line between pain and pleasure.

30. Angela E. says

I just gave birth to my third child, a month ago, and at home. I do not remember pain either. I didnot do any preparation as meditation or yoga, but I did one very good thing in pregnancy: stay away from doctors. I had a good midwife support and only went to the doctor a few times for some check ups, so this time there was no doctor telling me about all those horrible things that can happen. After two hospital births this was the only birth I wish to remember all my life, it was fantastic. No medication, nobody putting your hands into your vagina every two hours, no episiotomy (=nobody messing up your future sexlife), nobody separating my baby from me…
    I guess it was painless because I could freely move however I felt like to do, nobody observing me or staring between my legs, nobody telling me to lay down, I just did whatever my body asked me to do and it was so easy. for the first time I fell in love with my baby from the very first moment, it was just so normal, it felt so good. in hospital things felt quite wrong, but I found out so late…
    ah, my other births were really painful in hospital.

I think you are totally right. She’s a SUPERmodel. If supermodels can’t deal with pain (think shoes, think starving, think freezing photoshoots), then they won’t be supermodels for very long.

32. audrey says

I had natural child birth for both my kids. It hurt like hell, and I have a high tolerance for pain. So now I hate Gisele. Not only did she steal my body but the witch had painless child birth.

I watched her interview on youtube, she actually said she didnt feel pain, but explained: the happiness overcame the pain. Some people commented that noticed she had some difficulty in expressing herselves, I noticed that too, she wouldnt lie and she is not the first to say that.

A friend of mine gave birth to her first child a few weeks ago. The first thing she said was: “If a woman tells you it doesn’t hurt, she’s lying. It does, period!” I think I’ll go with my friends word :o)

35. dorothy says

Bah. She’s lying to make it sound better. There is NO way you can go through birth feeling nothing. I’m sorry, but pain is part of the process.

BS! Everyone experiences pain differently but I practice yoga, too. I’ve had 3 children. It hurts!

Didn’t you guys know that she doesn’t poop or fart either? Painless birth… Riiiiight. Maybe if you are unconscious through the whole process.

of couse she was in pain, you dont get anything that she said…she was so happy and prepared for the baby that she even felt much pain…this sites create mess about people comments just to have sth to discuss, its totaly misunterstanting from the real interview.

39. anonymous says

Labor doesnt hurt for some women that is fact not everybody feel that horribel pain, kourtney k said she didnt felt either whats wrong with that? its a different experience for each one, sometimes the joy overcome the pain, just like that you will find millions case like that.

40. SunshineSurfer says

She interpreted the feeling of pain into pleasure of seeing her baby soon…it’s all about how she mentally viewed the pain. It wasn’t really that there was no pain. It’s just how she was choosing to use her body’s signals.

My two unmedicated births were not so bad. They did hurt though. Still, if I had another I’d still do no drugs. All the epidurals on my ward (21 of them!) were still laboring after the 4 naturals left the floor. I prefer the quick with plenty of cursing to long drawn out ending in a c.
    Also, to some previous poster: don’t scare the poor women who haven’t had kids yet. you don’t have to tear, geez. Labor slowly without drugs and you’re way more likely to come out intact.
    That said, don’t feel bad if it goes long and you want drugs… exhaustion is no good for you either.

My two unmedicated births were not so bad. They did hurt though. Still, if I had another I’d still do no meds. All the epidurals on my ward (21 of them!) were still laboring after the 4 naturals left the floor. I prefer the quick with plenty of cussing to long drawn out ending in a c.
    Also, to some previous poster: don’t scare the poor women who haven’t had kids yet. you don’t have to tear, geez. Labor slowly without meds and you’re way more likely to come out intact.
    That said, don’t feel bad if it goes long and you want meds… exhaustion is no good for you either.

I saw the inerview in portuguese , what she said was that she didn’t think on the pain cause she was focus on the baby, a little contraction it would bring the baby closer to her.

she never said in the interview that was not painfull.
    correct that please!!!!

the reporter asked her if it was painful and the said hummmmmm…… I wasn’t focus in that .. so it wasn’t all pain that I was expecting!!!!!

PLEASE CORRECT YOUR TEXT!!!!

Gimme a break. I have 3 kids and yes, it hurts, especially that first time.

It’s the same old Gisele crap of making herself out to be better than everyone else. Regular women experience pain, but supermodel vaginas are special and hers ‘didn’t hurt in the slightest’. Eye roll.

for me it was NOTHING compared to the cramps I used to have in my late teens. NOTHING.. so I would say my childbirths (without any medication) were pretty painless..

There is a small percentage of women – around 5% – for whom childbirth is not painless. For some, it’s even orgasmic.

I am not one of those women. My MIL, however, is, and all of her daughters inherited that from her.

While childbirth was not painless, I will say that my childbirths without pain medication were much, much, *much* easier to go through and recover from than my one medicated birth. That was hell.

While childbirth was not painless, I will say that my childbirths without pain medication were much, much, *much* easier to go through and recover from than my one medicated birth. That was very difficult.

I was in labor for three hours and didn’t cry or yell in pain once. It is possible to meditate and be so focused during a drug-free birth that you experience it without pain.

I understand exactly what she is saying. I had two natural childbirths, and just like the quotation I felt that each contraction moved the baby closer to being born. I focused on that, not the pain, which was present, but not my focus. I just breathed, pushed and focused. It is possible.