Christina Aguilera Explains Why She Filed For Divorce

Was I the only one who was surprised when Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman announced they had split? I mean, not only were they seemingly happily married: Jordan was (I doubt he still is, but I don’t know) her manager, too! Christina explained to People what happened.

“Things were so unhealthy and unhappy for both Jordan and me, I knew I had to end it,” theBurlesque star, 29, tells PEOPLE in an exclusive interview. “I really didn’t want to hurt Jordan, and I felt torn about splitting our family up.”

Christina explains why she ultimately filed for divorce for the sake of her son, Max.

“When you’re unhappy in your marriage, your children are the ones who suffer,” says the Grammy-winning pop singer, whose own parents’ tumultuous relationship led to divorce when she was 7. “That’s the last thing I wanted for my son.”

It’s tough either way, but I don’t think anyone thinks it’s healthy for children to grow up in a home where the parents are miserable together.

And Christina’s moved on to Matt Rutler, so she’s coping well with the split ;).

Photos by FAME

Comments

1. Tired says

I grew up with parents who stayed together for us kids and let me tell you to this day and I am now 43, it was AWFUL! Constant fighting, both parents always threatening to leave and get divorced, they were always complaining to me about how awful the other one was when they were fighting. The stress and pain it caused through all those years, even after highschool was tremendous. I had finally got to the point where I WISHED they would just get divorced! So kudos to Christina for leaving an unhappy marriage for the sake of her kid because in my opinion it is the right thing to do.

I know kids always wish their parents would not get divorced but believe me it is much better than them staying together and making everyone miserable.

It was especially hard when I was very little and they would be screaming at each other and saying that they would never come back and I would be terrified.

No couple should stay together for their kids whether they are married or not as I said, in my opinion.

2. Rocket says

Better than divorce, better than staying together having the same fights over and over so everyone is miserable, is REALLY working on marriage – forgiving and working together to make a happy home instead of only working against each other and tearing the kids to shreds whether you divorce or not. I am so tired of people getting divorced because they are too selfish to compromise enough to make things work. I know there are exceptions where 2 people really should be apart, but having 50% or more of couples claiming to be that exception is ridiculous – an exception is supposed to be a small percentage of the whole – not 1 in 2 couples! In Hollywood with those huge egos and people trading up for their careers it is even worse.

3. Lifestooshort says

Right on Rocket! People are too lazy to confront and face their problems. They choose to avoid he problems and then get to the point where it is easier to avoid that other person forever. True love is not all song and dance. You have to constantly work at it and add more log to keep that fire going. That’s true love: respect, compromise, and unconditional sacrifice.

What happened to their naked Sundays? Wasn’t that supposed to be the key to the ultimate happyness.. I guess not enough boozing for Xtina. You go girl.

5. Catt says

Thank you Rocket. People need to take personal responsibility for doing all they can to have a happy marriage. People make it sound like there are only two choices – stay together and be miserable or divorce…how about get help, be committed to your marriage and your family and do everything you can to make your marriage work.

6. Locke says

I’m sorry for their split, but even more sorry for their child. A broken home is more damaging to a child than parents who are “unfulfilled” or even fighting. All scientific research backs this up. If you want a divorce, get one, it’s your legal right to do so. But please stop using the kids as an excuse. Unless those kids must be removed from the presence of an abusive parent (and no, your husband yelling at you while the kids are in the home does not qualify as child abuse) then splitting your home apart so your kids can bounce back and forth like human yo-yos and watch you both date other people is not “better” for them than hanging around your unfulfilling marriage. “Better” would be seeking counselling with a willingness to fall back in love with your spouse.

7. Alyssa says

what do you expect? For her to sit around and work it out?
    I’m sure her and her new boyfriend will be 2gether 4ever, 4 sure.
    Matt Rutler is a clinger who is probably using her for money and fame. Now that she’s with him, she’s been arrested 2 times for DUI.
    The guy is no good..

Excellent submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector don’t realize this. You should continue your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help different users like its helped me. Great job.

It’s actually a great and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

10. chaki says

so did she even try to work on her marriage and get that romance going again??? to meit sounds like she just took the easy way out instead of solving their issues…