Helen Mirren Explains Decision Not To Have Kids

Helen Mirren has been married to Taylor Hackford for 13 years now, but she insists that she was never big into the idea of having babies with him, even though it would’ve been a nice “memory” of their relationship.

“There were men in my life with whom I would like to have had children – this lovely little thing as a memory of this or that relationship.

“But children grow up and become emotional attachments. They don’t want to see you and they behave like I behaved as a teenager.”

Helen adds,

“I just want to be ‘me’. There is something wonderful about knowing I can do what I choose, work commitments notwithstanding, without encumbrance.

“I always did – and still do – value my freedom too highly.”

Moms out there, what do you think? After having children do you miss your freedom? Or do you not feel like it’s been an issue for you?

Helen seems like so much fun to be around, but I wonder if she’s ever felt like anything is missing in her life.

Photos by Fame.

Comments

1. Heather says

Love her comments. Even as a child, I knew it was not my fate to have children and I’ve never wanted them. My career and life is about philanthropy and I give a lot to the world. It is annoying to have people assume that women like Helen will someday regret decisions that are not as your own.

2. YAYI says

I definitely miss my freedom, but I love my two children. They are and always will be my pride and joy. I’ll be lying if I said I don’t miss the careless decisions and traveling most of all, but that kind of freedom is what one is giving up in exchange for this wonderful little people.

3. anwashington says

It’s her prerogative. It’s better that she knew it wasn’t the right thing for her. There are a lot of people out there whose kids would have been better off if their parents would have realized that they really didn’t want to sacrifice for their children.

4. Danielle says

I am 36, married and I don’t have children. It’s been the best decision I could have made for myself. In my opinion, I would feel like something was missing in my life if I had children…..I miss out on much less by maintaining my freedom and sense of self, rather than becoming so-and-so’s mom….blah!

5. Catt says

Notice that her comments are all about “I” and “me” – that is what happens when a woman doesn’t have children…she never has the opportunity to love something more than she does herself.

• Danielle says

Mothers loving their children is pure biology and a little bit of social obligation….
      You don’t ”love” your child more than yourself….you protect your child because not doing so would be painful to YOU.
      Having kids is selfish. Period.

• Jenn says

You don’t get to love something more than you love yourself? I don’t agree with that, but even if that were true, is that so bad? She was asked about her personal choice, so “I” and “me” were appropriate. I’m sure she may love her husband greatly, her family, etc. Like another poster said, you can be philanthropic and charitable and good w/o having kids. I don’t want ‘em either.

6. blasted1 says

She’s very lucky or very insightful (or a little of both) that she knows herself so well. It isn’t just about “freedom”; it’s about what kind of person you would be in a child’s life. No one makes that decision lightly. In fact, I wonder how much thinking goes into planning for children. I bet most people give more thought to what color they want for their carpet than if they have what it takes to raise a baby.

Not having children is one of the most selfless, altruistic acts you could ever do for the world….