Quote Of The Day: Linda Perry Calls Katy Perry “Microwave Popcorn”

Linda Perry (who is no relation to Katy Perry, btw) is a Grammy-nominated song writer, producer and a rock singer herself. She sat down for an interview about the music industry today and didn’t have much nice to say about ‘Teenage Dream‘ and ‘California Gurls‘ singer Katy.

“Who wants a f—ing Katy Perry record? I’m sorry. You’re gonna get the two songs that are probably the hits that are good, but the rest of the album is gonna be crap. It is, it’s gonna sound like s—… she’s not giving you anything of substance, it’s microwave popcorn, musically…”

Ouch. You can hear Linda’s entire interview here, but I’ll warn you, the swearing is not edited out, so it’s NSFW or young ears. She isn’t a huge fan of Adele’s, either.

Do you agree with Linda’s assessment about Katy?

Photos by FAME

Comments

1. anony says

What a bitch! Katy Perry just beat (or tied, i can’t remember) Michael Jackson’s record for most #1 singles from the an album – not even Gaga or Bieber did that! Linda Perry may be talented, but how incredibly rude!

2. Lyn says

never heard of Linda Perry….. i have heard of Katy Perry. i don’t listen to KP but obviously A LOT of people do. maybe the “older” Perry just wanted some media attention……..

This is why I agree with Linda Perry. “You’re gonna get the two songs that are probably the hits that are good, but the rest of the album is gonna be crap.” She’s got a point.

4. Kiki says

Yes, Katy Perry is over-processed crap and the hook from California Girls shatters my wine glasses. Put her on a sinking island with Kim Kardashian and the world will be a better place.

5. Mia says

Um. So checking out her wiki she contributed to Kelly Osbourne’s album. I kinda think she doesn’t get to vote after that. :-P

6. audrey says

I love Linda Perry’s voice. She’s an incredible singer–unlike Katie Perry who is auto tuned to death. And if I hear the chorus of Firework one more time I am going to scream. It’s an annoying song and the lyrics are shouted rather than sang and her voice gets on my nerves.

Agree with Linda Perry. Katy’s album when she came out with “I kissed a girl” was not so bad. “Thinking of you” was interesting, and the album sounded consistent as a whole.

You would be able to find videos of her with small audiences and her guitar, things like that… now what do we see ? Katy’s boobs, Katy’s legs, oh and did I mention her boobs ? I can’t listen to her songs without being very annoyed now.

Katy Perry’s albums may not have a lot of “substance,” but it’s what’s marketable. It’s what most consumers seem to want. If it’s not, then their spending is saying otherwise.

While Linda Perry may have a point, the way she makes it just comes across as bitter. If Linda is happy doing the music that she’s doing, great. If she’s mad that Katy is selling more albums than she is, Linda should consider selling out a bit and making stuff that the masses want to buy.

Jaja! Both women are incredibly talented and I don’t understand the need for Linda’s remarks but hey, she had her moment and I don’t think that Katy Perry stops in her tracks for anyone other than those whom she so chooses. I would love to see them work together. As far as the two songs being great on Katy’s album and the rest crap, Linda like all of us has a right to her opinion but the fact that she is a producer does not give entitlement towards unnecessary roughness, I call foul. Perilous Perry has no appreciation for Katy Perry’s music, o.k. but in the same interview Linda herself stated that thirty five people showed up for her own show in DC. Point being that the fact that few attended DDR’s music event in DC by no means reduces Linda’s extraordinary talent and genius as a songwriter, singer, performer, producer etc. the same applies to her comments about Katy Perry. How bout it Linda… a music session with you and Katy? I would be more than glad to provide the popcorn kettle popped too.