Hear the word “geek” and visions of someone overly intellectual and socially awkward may come to mind. But a new survey by Cisco’s Home Networking Business, maker of Linksys® products, finds that today’s geeks are cooler, connected and more engaged fathers than people may realize.
A “geek dad” is a father who is enthusiastic about technology and knowledgeable about the latest innovations. The Confessions of a Geek Dad survey* conducted in December by Answers Research, found that:
- 71 percent of geek dads say they spend more time doing activities with their kids than their fathers did with them.
- Today’s geek dads have a wide variety of interests, including:
- being music lovers (82 percent),
- outdoor enthusiasts (65 percent),
- all-around fix-it guys (79 percent),
- gaming fanatics (78 percent) and
- sports buffs (77 percent).
- 70 percent of geek dads say their kids think they are cool because they’re a tech geek.
- When called a “tech geek” by their kids, 87 percent say that makes them feel proud or humored.
- Also, most geek dads (69 percent) say they’re cooler than other dads, attributing their coolness factor to creating a home where their kids’ friends love hanging out (75 percent).
The survey also showed that slow Internet (25 percent) and Wi-Fi connectivity issues (19 percent) are the top frustrations geek dads face when it comes to home technologies. With the new Linksys EA4500 Router (Cisco’s fastest wireless router offering their top bandwidth speeds), geek dad or not, users get maximum streaming speed for HD/3D quality video streaming, superior wireless coverage, and faster USB hard drive disk performance for streaming media.
Additionally Cisco Connect™ software offers simple parental controls and security settings to help protect your wireless network, an easy three-step set-up and 24/7 support. Plus Cisco Connect Cloud software (available this summer) gives users access anytime to your home network from a browser or mobile device. You can also optimize use of your wireless experiences with apps featured in Cisco Connect Cloud.
One (1) lucky INO reader will receive a new Linksys EA4500 Router, retail $199!
How do I enter? You have a few options AND EACH COUNTS AS ONE ENTRY. There is NO LIMIT to the number of times a reader can enter (via any of the entry channels) this contest. Please leave a comment for each entry, and include your email in each comment as well:
- Leave your email on the contest entry form.
- Become a fan of INO’s Facebook Page. Then leave a comment on the wall saying you entered the Linksys EA4500 Wireless Router For Your “Geek Dad” giveaway.
- Tweet this message: “Hope I win @OfficialLinksys EA4500 Wireless Router giveaway from imnotobsessed.com (@imnotobsessed). RT to Enter #contest #giveaway”.
- Fan Linksys on Facebook and leave this link on their wall saying you are entering the EA4500 Wireless Router For Your “Geek Dad” giveaway on imnotobsessed.com.
- Post a link to this contest on your blog (and then leave a comment on this post with your link).
- Stumble this post (not the site) and leave me your StumbleUpon Name in your comment.
- Comment on other I’m Not Obsessed posts and reference this contest. Be sure to add that the comment is acting as an entry to the contest. Each comment counts as one entry. Please be sure to include you email when asked otherwise I won’t be able to contactyou.
- Sign up for INO’s newsletter. Are you already subscribed? Leave a comment letting me know.
Contest ends Midnight, Eastern Time, 5/2/12
Winner(s) will be selected at random.