The wait is almost over for ‘X-Files’ fans out there! Scully and Mulder will be BACK in January with the ‘X-Files’ revival. Fox released a kind of behind-the-scenes video where we get to hear from creator Chris Carter, stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, some familiar faces like Mitch Pileggi (FBI Assistant Director Skinner) and the Cigarette Smoking Man as well as new faces like Joel McHale, who plays a conservative radio talk show host. There are some spoilers about what to expect in the ‘X-Files’ revival, so if you want to avoid ALL spoilers, then you don’t want to read after the break or watch the video ;).
Here are some things we find out in this video:
- Scully and Mulder are not together at this point. Chris Carter explained: “Mulder and Scully for nine years had a platonic relationship. Even though we suggested they have a child together, we never saw them as a couple until the second movie where we saw them definitely together. When we come back to them in the new series, we will have been honest to their new relationship previously but we now find them in another state. Seven or eight years have elapsed; time has been difficult for their relationship. We will investigate what’s happened in that time.” Hmmm… Gillian added: “I think that where we find Mulder and Scully perfectly delivers us into a similar dynamic that we’ve had before—which is huge intimacy and appreciation, and yet frustration—but still love and care, and potential.” And there’s a BIG surprise in the video…
- There will be a mix of standalone episodes as well as episodes that focus on the over-arching mythology.
- Skinner will be more supportive of Mulder and Scully. Mitch said: “After a certain point, he realized that what these two agents were trying to do was to bring the truth out, so Skinner eventually became their champion. He still is a company man, but perhaps not looked on with favor.”
- And yes, the Cigarette Smoking Man will be back, even though he died at the end of the ‘X-Files.’ His survival will be explained. This is the ‘X-Files’!
- Joel’s character gets everything started for the ‘X-Files’ revival. He explained: “He is very conservative but his ideas about conspiracy theories match up exactly with Mulder’s. My character wants to get a hold of Mulder and that’s how it starts. I start a ball rolling that turns into a boulder.”
I Can Not WAIT for the end of January to watch this! If you want more information about the revival, check out the video below. Get a cup of coffee or tea first, however: this video is a little over 20 minutes long.