On Saturday the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Ketel One hosted the VIP red carpet suite and was on-site as talent such as Russell Simmons, Vinny Guadagnino and the anchors of Good Morning America arrived to pose for photos. In honor of the evening’s atmosphere of acceptance, guests mingled in the Ketel One VIP area and answered the question “What’s the one thing that gives you courage?”. While on the red carpet, celebrities stopped to toast the night’s celebration with Ketel One cocktails before heading into the show where the evening’s most anticipated presenter and special guest, Madonna, was scheduled to award Anderson Cooper with the prestigious Vito Russo Award.
Highlights from the evening included:
- Guest of honor Anderson Cooper was whisked inside but made time to stop and pose for photos on the red carpet as his partner, Ben Maisani, patiently waited behind the scenes.
- Downtown Abbey’s new star Dan Stevens was one of the first to arrive and greet the crowd before keeping it calm and reserved in the Ketel One VIP Suite.
- After working up a sweat on the red carpet and graciously stopping for several interviews, ,Smash, star Christian Borle needed to refresh with a Ketel One cocktail.
- Fellow Smash actor, Wesley Taylor, noted that he thrives off fear before confessing that he only sips Ketel One and grabbing a cocktail.
- Newlyweds Sam Champion and Rubem Robierb held hands as they walked the red carpet.
- His Good Morning America co-anchors, Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer, stopped to pose for a photo and joked with Ketel One that the hi-definition cameras on GMA is what makes them courageous. Though Sam didn’t want to leave his husband’s side, the gang wouldn’t pose for a photo without him.
- Always busy, Vinny Guadagnino and frequent GLAAD support Russell Simmons were the last to arrive but took their time stopping for interviews and posing for photos on the red carpet before running in to catch the start of the show.
- NFL stars and LGBT advocates, Chris Kluwe (Minnesota Vikings) and Brandon Ayanbadejo (Baltimore Ravens) took to the stage later that evening to lead the entire audience in a Ketel One toast in support of the LGBT community.
- Honey Boo Boo’s mom, June Shannon posed for photos on the red carpet, but was shocked when no one photo bombed her.
- “Real Housewives of New York” star Countess LuAnn DeLesseps whispered to her husband in French the whole time they were in the VIP area, but told Ketel One “choice” is what makes them courageous before heading into the show.
- Nigel Barker, host of the new reality competition “The Face,” told Ketel One the ability to face your fears is what makes him courageous.
- Newly crowned Miss America Mallory Hagan walked the red carpet while gracefully balancing her crown and was quick to tell Ketel One her best friend is what makes her courageous.
- Always the broadway starlet, Bernadette Peters showed up in a ravishing red dress and purple pumps.
- GLAAD National Spokesperson and actor Wilson Cruz was excited to kick off the night by being one of the first to walk to red carpet and told Ketel One “truth” is what makes him courageous.
Well, my favorite red carpet look from the evening had to be Milla Jovovich, who was very chic. Congratulations to Anderson for the award!
Photos by WENN